Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

NFL Season

Like an average American dad, I am a huge NFL fan, and a huge Packers fan.  With the start of the season tomorrow, I can honestly say that I am more excited for this year than years past for a couple of reasons.  One the Packers look to be a solid team with a chance to go all the way, assuming a few things fall into place.  Secondly, and more importantly, Isaac is interested this year.  Well, as interested as a 4 year old can be in football.  He is excited watch football with daddy, and Amelia is even interested to some degree, though I think she just wants to watch because we are.  Though, to her credit, we were watching some preseason earlier this year and she said unprompted after a good hit, "Nice tackle!"  It was pretty dang cute, and I wish I had that on video.  So the whole gang will be watching the Packer this Sunday, and hopefully we can start what will be a long family tradition of sitting down and watching the Packers play, good or bad.  Once a little older, maybe even a game on game day would be nice.

As a huge football fan, one thing that I have to be careful of is not ignoring the kids, and remembering that they come before the game.  Its sounds almost stupid to say, but for those obsessed with the game you realize the ease at which you can become enthralled in the game and ignore all else.  Definitely not right, but at least I can admit that it is a problem.  One thing I never want to happen is for my kids to think that I care more about a game than I do them, while I love it, still play it and follow it, it will never mean more to me than they do.

On a side note, I know that every parent feels like they have the best kids in the world, and I am no different.  They are such sweet kids, and the innocence that they have always displayed amazes me.  Oh to be like a child, loving life, loving everything, no matter how simple, or how innate we think it to be, they love it.  They get excited about taking a walk and seeing a tree, or flower!  They pass people on the street and exclaim the happiest, "Hi!" to anyone they walk past.  They are so good at giving joy to someone else through a simple hello, yet they aren't trying, they are just being themselves.  Take a young child on a walk, and start to realize how jaded we as adults are, we barely make eye contact with most we pass, let alone say hello or smile.  If we could take half the joy in our daily lives that they take in going for a walk, we would all live in a much better town, state and country.  We are supposed to teach our children how to behave, but in many ways we forget to see that they can also teach us how to behave.

Average Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment